Sunday, October 15, 2006

And When I'm Done With It, I'll Mail It To Geneva


I was munching on blazing leftover curried zucchini tonight when I noticed a mouse trapped in my wastebasket. In trying to escape, it managed to launch 12 or 13 inches up the side of the container, just a hair short of freedom. Ever the sportsman, I acknowledged its athleticism. Can you imagine if humans could jump 4 times our height from atop a pile of coffee grounds and apple cores?

But mostly I laughed at this mouse's miserable predicament. I hate mice, and I wish to destroy them all. So I finished my curry and cinched up the garbage bag, twist-tied it, and put it out for the morning trash.

My question is this: if I were to catch one and torture it for all the others to see and hear - say I leave it splayed out cruciform on a glue trap with a number painted on its tiny tummy - would it have deterrent effect on the other mice? What if I sawed its head off and placed it on a tiny pike? Is there a downside to taking the moral low road?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

I used to have a cat who would catch a mouse then put it in the tub, still alive. She would sit on the edge and watch it as it tried to climb out. If it got too close to the top she'd swat it back down and watch it some more. Eventually when she got bored, or I tried to take a shower, she'd get in the tub and eat the whole thing, left nothing but a streak of blood. She never had any shortage of playthings so I don't think making an example of one Abu Ghraib style will help.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home