Friday, February 09, 2007

Your tactics, they intrigue me...



The Friday Morning Impasse:

Who appreciates an acid attack more than The Long Shot? Who has more respect for activists that bounce around in extremely hostile waters, endangering themselves to protect endangered whales? Finally, who fucking loves whales? Who fucking hates whaling ships? TLS does. TLS does. So when the BBC reported the acid-attack-with-a-happy-ending story from Antarctica today, we decided to preserve it in our little bubble of internetian amber. The alignment of forces rings clear as crystal, sharp as a diamond.

Witness:
Two activists - one American, one Australian - splash acid onto the deck of a Japanese whaling ship. The two vessels collide, and the activists' inflatable dinghy disappears in the cold roiling seas, lost in the wintry fog.

Eventually they are found (assisted by the acid-splashed, blubber-sodden whaling ship, of course) and served steaming mugs of fair trade tea aboard their mothership, the SS Farley Mowat, which is named after a great, late Canadian author, and evidently an environmentalist of some renown.

Wondering what's the point of this post? Me too. I've actually forgotten whose side I'm on. Naturally whaling is a fiendish thing to do, but I was being ironic when I said TLS appreciates acid-splashing. What I meant to say is I acknowledge acid-splashing as an offensive weapon. And while I'm sure those activists are keeping it real, the detail of them sipping fair trade tea (which I, umm, made up) makes them seem like weenies, doesn't it? This Friday Morning Impasse might be a good example of why blogs are dumb. I relent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog no dumb. Meek more freek-went, every morning with the coffee. No? Seth also, was acid meant to sink her? Or was it just tagg'in like on train windows...Scratchiti, man.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Kizz said...

I feel certain that the tea was fair trade.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home